Sunday, September 20, 2015

Excerpt: Fractured Suns by Theresa Kay




FRACTURED SUNS
Broken Skies Book 2
by Theresa Kay
YA Dystopian
278 pages





We came in peace. Lie.
We had no role in the Collapse. Lie.
I have always been honest. Lie.
I never lied to her. Truth.

Reunited with her brother, and surrounded by Flint, Peter and her new-found grandfather, Jax Mitchell has still never felt more alone. The choice to follow Rym back to the city to find answers and see Lir is an easy one, but their reunion is cut short and Jax is forced to leave Lir behind. She finds herself traveling with some unexpected companions and heading back toward a place she’d hoped to never see again.
After being imprisoned—and tortured—on the orders of his uncle, Lir hasn’t seen daylight or linked to anyone in weeks. After a lifetime of connection, the pain and loneliness is almost too much to bear. Elated that Jax actually came, Lir finds renewed hope and strength to continue fighting his uncle’s influence over the E’rikon, even when things look hopeless and Lir’s been branded a traitor by the very people he’s trying to save.
While Jax and Lir fight separate battles, their missions have more in common than they realize. It’s a race against time to stop men driven only by greed and power. But the people they trust the most might be the very people working against them—and “family” doesn’t mean what it used to. Will they recognize their friends from their enemies in time to save the people they love or will they lose each other in the process?






EXCERPT

LIR

“You are safe, Cousin.” Rym’s voice startles me out of the study of my surroundings.
I struggle to sit, sliding up the headboard until my back is straight and then setting my shoulders. I have to clear my dry throat a few times before I am able to speak. “What happened?”
“He…” His eyes shift downward and he shakes his head. “Why must you insist on provoking him?” I snort, and Rym’s mouth quirks up at the corners in a somewhat uncomfortable smile. “The humans have rubbed off on you,” he says. “First you’re instigating fights, and now you’re imitating some of their less attractive… expressions. What’s next? Scratching your—”
I hold up a hand. “I think I understand your point.”
He winks. “Ah, so you have not gone completely native on me then. Mister prim and proper is still in there.”
“I suppose your father has, as yet, been unable to beat that out of me.” The smile drops from Rym’s face and the laugh in his throat chokes off. I sigh and run a hand over my face. “I apologize. That did not come out quite how I meant it to.”
He simply shakes his head again. “No. I am the one making light of the situation. I am the one who should apologize.”
“No…” My voice trails off as I shake my head. “Are we not the pair? Bouncing apologies back and forth when there are so many other things for us to worry over.”
Rym nods and smiles, but when he meets my eyes, his expression is serious. “I am truly sorry for his actions. I do not support what he is doing.”
“I am certainly pleased to hear you feel that way, considering I cannot stop him by myself.”
“No, you cannot.” His shoulders rise with his inhalation, and he blows the breath past his lips slowly. “I will leave you to get some rest.” He glances back at me as he walks through the doorway. “We will figure something out. The city cannot continue like this.” With another sad smile, he shuts the door, and I am left alone with my thoughts.





And here she is. . .
THERESA KAY!!!




The only person she knows who had a subscription to Writer's Digest at eleven and was always excited to write research papers, Theresa has been putting words to paper since a young age. Living in the mountains of central Virginia with her husband and two kids, she works as a paralegal by day, binges on Netflix at night and finds bits of time in between reading almost everything she can get her hands on and laundry to craft stories that tend to feature broken characters in sci-fi or paranormal worlds, with a touch of romance thrown in for good measure.

She's constantly lost in one fictional universe or another and is a self-proclaimed "fangirl" who loves being sucked in to new books or TV shows. Theresa originally wanted to write horror novels as an ode to her childhood passion for Stephen King novels, but between her internal Muse's ramblings and the constant praise for her sci-fi pieces from her writer's group - The Rebel Writers - she knew she should stick with what was working.

Author links:



No comments: